Medical Home Care Professionals have been helping those in Shasta County who have needed a little extra help for the past 35+ years. Whether it’s basic meal prepping and light housekeeping, injury and/or procedure recovery—we know everyone needs a little help from time to time. With that in mind, we also believe strongly in not only being there on your road to recovery, but instilling within every person we meet (including our team!) to lead a healthy lifestyle. One simple way anyone can do that is to spend some time outside in the sun! Check out these 7 benefits to sunshine:
- Did you know that your body naturally stays awake longer when it’s summertime? This is because the sun is out for longer periods of time during the day. When it’s dark, your body naturally creates a chemical in your body called melatonin, which enables you to sleep. By getting an hour of sunshine during the day can help regulate your circadian rhythm and promote healthy melatonin development.
- Exercise isn’t the only activity that can help lower stress. Being outside additionally helps regulate melatonin levels, which will in turn lower your stress levels. Combine the two, and you’ve got something good going for you.
- Being in the sun is one of the best ways to get vitamin D. This important vitamin is essential in the development of strong bones. A minimum of 15 of sun a day for fair-skinned people is a good start in obtaining adequate vitamin D and in preventing brittle bones.
- Early morning activity, especially outside, has been shown in studies to be linked to keeping weight loss. From 8 am – 12 pm is a good time to get in shape and stay that way.
- Getting enough sunshine and vitamin D is essential in the development of and strengthening of your immune system. This vitamin is paramount in having a strong and defiant immune system. Having a strong immune system can help with fighting illness, infections, some cancers, and even mortality after surgery.
- Did you know that getting some sun can help fight depression? Being outside in the sunshine promotes healthy serotonin, which is a natural chemical in your body that is called the “feel good” chemical. Being in the sun develops this “feel good” chemical, so being outside in the sun (or not) is definitely linked with a calm, happy mood!
- Some scientists believe that those who spend more time in the sun can increase their lifespan from 6 months – 2 years or more. This study is still in its infancy, but there has some been interesting evidence from a study of 30,000 Swedish women that indicated this hypothesis.
Getting outside and leading a healthy life is important in many more ways than those that are found on this list. It’s safe to say proper and safe sun exposure for the appropriate amount of time, however, is to everyone’s benefit.
Today, Medical Home Care Professionals are one of the largest locally owned and operated agencies in Shasta County and have clinical teams of nurses, therapists, social service workers, Aides, and caregivers that are dedicated to providing our patients/clients with, respect, dignity, and quality care to guarantee a positive experience while healing at home. Give us a call today to learn more at 530-226-5577.