Medical Home Care Professionals have been helping those in Shasta County who have needed a little extra help for the past 35+ years. Whether it’s basic meal prepping and light housekeeping, injury and/or procedure recovery—we know everyone needs a little help from time to time.
There is a bodily function that occurs on average 17,000 times a day and is essential to your healthy life. Can you guess what it is? It’s breathing! Breathing is something that happens unconsciously but can affect you, your mood, and your body in more ways than one. Here are some interesting facts about breathing and its functions in your life:
- Breathing air is not technically…correct. When you breathe, you’re actually breathing in 79% nitrogen and 21% oxygen.
- Your lungs exhale around ½ liter of water a day! This, coupled with water intake and nitrogen inhalation factors a lot in terms of water reserves in your body.
- On average, most people can hold their breath for 1-2 minutes. However, a freediver from Denmark named Stig Severinsen held his breath for 22 minutes!
- Your bowls aren’t the biggest waste removal system in your body: your lungs are, accounting for expelling 70% of your body’s waste in form of carbon dioxide.
- Phycologists have found that breathing exercises can improve stress, anxiety, and depression levels. Doing even a single exercise involving the breath can dramatically lower your blood pressure.
- Mouth-breathing actually alters your facial composition. Studies have shown that children who have grown up mouth-breathing had different facial developments than those children who grew up breathing through the nose.
- It’s true that breathing can affect your emotions, but the inverse is also true: your emotions affect your breathing pattern. Your breathing pattern can influence the emotions your feel.
Breathing affects you from a physiological level to a psychological one. Being conscious of your breathing can affect your moods, and even practicing breathing exercises can improve blood pressure levels. Your lungs are incredibly hard-working, enabling you to take 17,000 breaths on average a day, and expelling harmful waste more than any other bodily organ! And of course, we cannot live without breathing. This simple but vital function is something that is often overlooked, but incredibly important.
Today, Medical Home Care Professionals are one of the largest locally owned and operated agencies in Shasta County and have clinical teams of nurses, therapists, social service workers, Aides, and caregivers that are dedicated to providing our patients/clients with, respect, dignity, and quality care to guarantee a positive experience while healing at home. Give us a call today to learn more at 530-226-5577.