We at Medical Home Care Professionals believe in living a healthy and holistic lifestyle. This means anything from physical activity to proper nutrition, and mental health. There are so many facets to living a healthy, long, and fulfilling life. Our ultimate goal in doing what we do is to help you achieve the healthiest, most recovered version of yourself!
You may have daily stretches as part of your recovery plan, issued by your physician and executed by one of our therapists. But did you know that even if you aren’t recovering from a medical procedure, stretching daily can have a powerful impact on your day-to-day? Not only can frequent stretching help with flexibility and posture, but it can have a positive impact on many areas of your life when done correctly. See below for 6 benefits of stretching regularly!
- Stretching daily can help with flexibility, which in turn can increase your mobility and dramatically improve your life. The flexibility that comes from stretching can even help slow some of the lack of mobility that can come from aging.
- Stretching regularly can increase and/or maintain your range of motion. This will affect the overall quality of life as you will be able to perform the tasks you want to without restrictions. Both static and dynamic stretching has been shown to increase range of motion, thus providing a greater ability to be active.
- Stretching encourages blood floor to your muscles. This is especially important when it comes to helping your muscles with recovery. Performing stretches, whether static or active (depending on what is best for your situation), is known to help your muscles recover more quickly post activity.
- Stretching certain muscle groups often can help with your posture. When certain muscles get imbalanced due to muscle tightness that comes from a lack of stretching or injury, musculoskeletal imbalances can occur. However, when you stretch, this can regulate some of those imbalances, thus potentially correcting and improving your posture.
- Stretching can help relieve stress. Did you know that when you are physically or emotionally stressed, your muscles respond to this by tightening up? It’s true! This is why it’s important to relieve that stress by stretching the muscles that you tend to carry it. It’s common for people to carry stress in their neck, shoulders, and upper back, for example.
- Stretching can help relieve back pain. Tight muscles can limit the range of motion, thus increasing your risk of injuring yourself. Stretching actively works to prevent injury due to muscle tightness.
There are of course a plethora of reasons to be one who actively stretches, whether it’s static or dynamic stretching (or both!), but please check with your doctor or aide beforehand to make sure that you can at this moment.
Today, Medical Home Care Professionals are one of the largest locally owned and operated agencies in Shasta County and have clinical teams of nurses, therapists, social service workers, Aides, and caregivers that are dedicated to providing our patients/clients with, respect, dignity, and quality care to guarantee a positive experience while healing at home. Give us a call today to learn more at 530-226-5577.